The new journey...
So, we are soon to embark on a different journey. It's called Empty Nesters. I don't really know what to think about it. Not sure anyone can ever really prepare for it, it just happens. I don't believe in chinese fortunes either, but I found a little happiness when I read this. This was from our first trip really as empty nesters (to be). We decided to make a trip to Minnesota and enjoy a day there shopping for a new bed and night stand, for our new empty room. You see, Cassie moved out, so we wanted to make her room a bit of a more relaxed space for her, and well, guest when we have them. It's now a more suitable space, and she seems to have approved, however, she was not happy about us revamping the closet space back to closet space, she still wanted a bed in the closet, yeah, um, not happening. She has been home once since moving out the 1st of March, for a wedding. Morgan has also been home and has stayed in the "guest room", and she approves as well. So, mom didn't do so bad on her own afterall. Oh, don't worry, I did send photos to the girls, and they approved. But you know, I think I'm ready for this phase.
Cassie's 1st trip home since moving to Texas (Bridesmaid in Madi Salva's wedding)

Morgan's trip home from God's Mountain, to get her top braces off! That's a happy face!
As of June 24th, we will be "empty nesters". Lucas, our boy from Argentina will be making his way back to his home land, where his father Daniel, and mother Norma and his two brothers await his arrival (Mauricio & Francisco). They are a lovely family. I enjoyed so much the opportunity we had to meet them. Here is a photo of them when we first met them and took them to eat at Square Pizza on Independence Square.
Daniel and the boys could speak English, Norma did some, but not as much. She tried so hard to communicate, however, as moms do, we did communicate, but not with words. I received many hugs, and thank yous, and I felt so overwhelmed with their kindness. I truly admire this family for them allowing their son & brother to explore his desires to reside in the states for 10 months out of a year. With technology as it is today, he stayed in close contact with his family and friends throughout his time here. It's been an experience for all of us, and we've grown to love him. It will be quiet at the Sandbergs when Lucas returns home. I'm use to my house being filled with my girls friends, and well, having boys in the house, it's a different experience. NOT a bad one, just different.
After hosting 3 students now, well, now they are my kids, we have decided to take a break from AFS. It's been a very good experience, one that has challenged us as a family at times, but all for the better. It made us really look at who we are, and how we communicate and just live our lives from day to day. These students have experienced everything the Sandbergs are about, the good, the bad, the ugly, they have seen us unmasked, transparent and well, it's not all glorious, but it's who we are. I have yet to meet the perfect host family, not yet. But after having these 3 young people into our homes and lives, it's time for us to embark on a new journey.
What might that journey look like? We are asking that question a lot. Rob and I desire to do what God wants us to do. We don't have a clue yet what that will look like. We have talked about going on a mission trip. We have no idea where that would be, but if that is the direction God wants us to go, I trust He will show us and lead us that direction, and HE will have the place in mind for us, and doors will open. I have never been outside of the United States, and I'm not saying that is where He will lead us, because I know there is much need here in our very own country, in our very own city that needs people to show the love of Christ and to share the good news. Being obedient, it's our first step.
As the changes happen to our family and our children move on with their lives, I can't help but miss the day to day times we had together. The late night friends coming over, the summer nights out on the front porch, or the quiet evenings the girls would set out there with their lap tops, chatting with each other and with their friends through Skype. Dinner time and talking around the table, the piles of dirty clothes in the laundry room, yes, I even miss that! The car rides where Rob and the girls would break out into song, making up the lyrics as they go, and the laugther.
I'm happy that my girls are happy. They both have an adventurous outlook. I'm proud that they have an independency about them. That even though they may have fears, they are strong. They know, we've got their back, and there is always home to come home to.
So, that time is almost here. I embrace it. WE embrace it. We still have lots of things to do. New experiences and memories to make, but it will be different, NOT bad, but different. Ready or not, here we come.





No comments:
Post a Comment